Saturday, March 26, 2005

2002 Magellan 'Ponant' Rouge


Keeerist, what a day, busy as hell. Buy a case of wine, get 20% off is too hard to resist, and not even the boys and I could. I bought a whole bunch of bottles I'd been wanting, some higher end stuff I have no biz buying but have had my eye on (I'd tell you about the big aussie shiraz but I might lose my street cred).

I am all about fielding "dumb" questions, but this one...wow.

"Yes, I'm allergic to alcohol, but a friend told me to try organic wines because they don't have sulfites in them. Is that true?"

Okay. This rivals "How can I tell if the wine in this bottle is red or white?" for the stoopidest Q in wine history. I mean, there are naiive questions, and then there are lazy ass questions that betray a clear lack in listening and reasoning skills. Lord, have mercy.

The vino I'm quaffing after such a krazy day: I felt like an idiot when I read the varietals, because I was so sure it was some grenache blend. But not a drop: Cab, Merlot, and Syrah. Guess I've got a lot to teach my tongue.
Speaking of tongues, this bottle is a 'vin de pays des cotes de Thongue'. "Cotes de Thongue". Hee hee hee hee.

But the wine really doesn't, so much. But it's not bad. It has that nice river rock minerality that I like, with smooth dark fruit. Good food wine. Needed a little time to open up. But I think it'll go nicely with the 'Austin-Style' steak I'm about to tear into.

Clink.