Monday, July 11, 2005

2003 Bodegas Luan 'Equis' Vino de la Tierra de Castilla

I seem to be the only member of my wine team who likes cheap Spanish wine. Matt, for instance, says they "just have a dirt thing" he doesn't like. "What dirt thing?" I insist, and he can't really put it into words. Tim joins in and says, "Yeah the Spanish dirt thing," and they nod to each other knowingly. "Maybe something to do with the wood they use," Matt says.

Whatever it is they don't like must be the thing I like, because I'm all over the Garnachas, the Monastrells, and the Ribera Del Dueros under $20.

My latest love is the handsome fellow pictured above. Oh, Lord, how I crave his company. Sometimes, when I'm with another wine, even a big, rich, classy one, I secretly fantasize about him. It's been a while since I've had such a crush on a bottle. But if you try one, I assure you, you'll understand.

First off, the label is very slick, with a touch of something seductively mid-century modern about it. Can't resist that. The mix is Bobal, Garnacha, Tempranillo, and Merlot (and probably something else, the sources differ). It's under Kork (i.e. artificial, as in Cork-with-a-K, like the Crab-with-a-K that goes into cheap Chinese food) but the wine inside is a lovely ruby-purple, with a nose of crushed ripe raspberries and a touch of pine. It's lush and ripe on the palate, with the same juicy berry/pine, and a suprisingly long finish that has a touch of...a touch of...
Okay: Spanish Dirt. Are you happy??? I admit it! And I don't care! Maybe he's a little "dirty", what's your point? You just don't know him like I do!

(RP must have thought my way about it; he gave it a '90', so there. Nyah, nyah, nyah. I feel sooo...mega-validated.)

Did I mention that he's a cheap date, too? TEN bucks, people! Under that, if you're lucky.

This bottle paired nicely with a store-bought roasted chicken and Episode 5 of Six Feet Under.

Clinkies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across the Cork and Demon site looking for some other perspectives on the 2003 Bodegas Luan "Equis" Vino de la Tierra de Castilla bottle that I consumed last week. I was impressed and also "felt so validated" ($8.00 at Central Market?)with my consumption and reaction to this inexpensive RP 90.
I haven't had a lot of experience with Spanish wines so this was a revelation.
Loved the very candid and (for me) entertaining Cork & Demon review and the presentation "attitude".
TAJ, please don't change a thing. With your permission, I will check in on you regularly.

Thanks
Wranglerned
Richardson, Texas

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home