Monday, July 25, 2005

2004 Caymus 'Belle Glos' Pinot Noir Blanc: Your Sweetness is my Weakness

I put this alluring Rose on the tasting table yesterday. It seemed to go over very well with women. Very well. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why, though...

I mean, most women are reluctant to spend twenty bucks on a pink wine. Yet they crowded around the tasting table, snatching up bottles left and right.
What is it about these bottles? Is it the slick pink color? The elegant cursive on the label?

Hmm......

(fade in Barry White)


Aw, yeah. Sit back baby. Let's turn the lights down low. You know I love you, woman. I am qualified to satisfy you.

Okay, seriously. I realize that this is the obvious extention of the traditional red wax-dip for which Belle Glos is famous. Red wine, red wax; pink wine, pink wax. But is it that everybody ignored the uncanny resemblance to a phallus, or that they just decided to run with it?

I'm just curious, 'cause its not like Caymus can claim not to have noticed. Can't you just see these bottles winding down the production line like an army of love toys?

The wine inside this irrisistable package is likewise seductive. It's a very sexy jeweled rose color that glints in the light--very nice. According to the label, the juice is aged for a time in oak before it goes back to sit with the skins, which has produced a voluptous pinky, the likes of which I've never tasted. The nose of earthy/berry pinot varietal aromas does not prepare you for the rush of bright, rich, almost creamy berry flavors that linger lovingly in the mouth with fantastic acidity to hold them up. A lot of people who tried to tell me they didn't like rose were moved by it.

I'm thinking this rather beautiful bottle of wine would go well on one of those dates mid-way into a totally steaming love-affair, with a light dinner of escolar filets in thai green curry sauce or immaculate crab cakes, followed by a dip in the jacuzzi for dessert.

Let the music play, baby.

Clinkies.



2 Comments:

Blogger taj said...

Yes, I did (giggle).

6:50 AM  
Blogger Japan-O-Matic! said...

OK, so the wine tastes good, but where do you put the batteries???

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home