Saturday, November 12, 2005

2004 Woop Woop Shiraz Does Not Suck

Call me easily amused, that's fine, but I swear to you, this little ten dollar shiraz delivers. It has the bit of meatiness. It has the black pepper. Is..is that a touch of stony minerality I detect? No way! It has the rich black fruit that's not all up in your face screaming "ME! I'M A BIG FAT JUICY BLACKBERRY! ME!"

Dude. Put down the freakin' Yellow Tail crrrrrap and step da hell up. Imagine: a low-end shiraz that might work with...with food!

The people at Woop Woop could, if they wanted, toss out the same old jammy, boring swill. Lord knows the market drools for that stuff, and will buy it by the gallon, just so long as it's-- what's that word they always use?--- 'smooth'. For many people, this means Not Encumbered By Flavor. It means soft and sweet. No alarms and no surprises, please.

But Woop Woop isn't boring, like it's supposed to be. It's alive with spicy sass and old-school charm. Kudos, People of Woop Woop. Please, keep it up.

Clinkies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cookie Madness said...

I see that one all the time but have never bought it. Don't know why. Thanks for the tip.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Well Taj, this one just wasn't for us. I wish we liked it more, but it just didn't do what it could have done for $10.00. I get what you're saying about it not being overly jammy etc., etc., etc., but Whoop Whoop just didn't cut it.

Have you tried the Kalyra? I bought a bottle of that and we loved it. I like the red a lot and now, want to go back and buy a bottle of the Chardonnay.

6:23 PM  
Blogger taj said...

Hmm...when you say it "didn't do what it could have done for $10" I wonder what you mean. What should it have done? Dance the tarantella? For me, it did precisely what I want a ten dollar shiraz to do, which is exhibit more that big phat barely structured fruit and far too much sugar. The market is flooded with lo-end Australian shirazzzezz; the difference between them often being only the choice of critter upon the label. The Woop Woop reminds me of French syrah in that it was lean, balanced, flavorful and earthy, and I felt the makers had been true to the charms of syrah, rather than trying to compete with Yellow Swill.

Yeah, I've had the Kalyra--I'm assuming you mean the Cashmere. I sold a lot of it to people who liked a rich, plush, low acid fruit style and it went over well. Haven't tried the Chardonnay.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had some of this Woop2 at the Hyde Park café last night and it was quite good. I liked that it wasn't treacly. It went well after 3 days of ice storm.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home