Thursday, February 09, 2006

2002 Colvin Syrah, Patina Vineyard

You're probably thinking one of two things, depending on your love of Italian wine: A) Hey! This isn't an Italian wine! Keep writing about those, or B) Thank the Christ Child this woman is over the Italian wine streak!

Either way, you ought to hear about this wine.

I'm back on syrah, baby, and mama LOVES her some syrah. Even a massive, voluptuous syrah like this makes me happy. This Colvin weighs in at 15.8%, and it's got the heft to prove it.

I met Mark Colvin a while ago when a vendor brought him by. He told me the story of his little girl bringing him an unusually lovely stone, and he decided that it would be perfect for the label.

Colvin was a pharmacy student in Colorado until a sip of '78 Chateau Chevral Blanc blew his mind. From there, he spent a decade devouring information about wine and it's making, finally moving his family to Walla Walla to set up shop. I love a good story like that, don't you? Beats the hell out of "Bob was rich and bored and decided that making wine would make him popular with the ladies."

(I don't know who has that story, but you know what I mean.)

2002 Colvin Syrah, Patina Vineyard

What I love about syrah is this: when it's good, it tastes like a meal. This Colvin syrah delivers nicely without beating you over the head. Nose full of chocolate, mint and violets, and a hint of something kinda smoky bacon. Upon tasting it, I immediately regretted my vow to have yogurt and cereal for dinner (tryin' to reduce) and longed for a nice bloody lamb chop. I am so drooling right now.
The palate---lovely. Just lovely. Satiny dark fruit and chocolate held up by a fresh lemony acidity. A nice bump of flavor in the back palate and a lingering finish. After I drank a bit, I pumped the bottle and put it back in the cooler for tomorrow, 'cause this is really a wine that wants that lamb chop, seared with herbs....

Stupid f**cking yogurt.

Clinkies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking to buy wow GoLd, or sell WOw GOld to reliable customers. welcome to WOw golD,buy woW goLD,sell WoW gold .For more information of wOw Gold, please visit a the super wow gold website specialized in selling WOw gold. We will serve you with cheap woW gOld, cheap WOw gold. Welcome to WOw gold,
you can get cheapest WOw gold frome here.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home