Tuesday, February 28, 2006

CORK AND DEMON WESTERN WINE TOUR 2006: ARE YOU READY?

I can't believe it's actually here. I'm so freaking excited I could just...what's that? You don't know about the Cork and Demon Western Wine Tour 2006? Wow, are you outta the loop. Lemme bring you up to speed.

At 4:30 am Wednesday, March 1st (which at the time of this post is about 17 hours nigh), I'm leaving Austin and driving West. My goal: to hit as many of the AVAs in the American west as possible. Will I go to all the superhot spots, like Santa Barbara and Sonoma and the Willamette Valley? Yeah, but I'm also going to El Paso, the southeastern wine trail of Arizona, the new Ramona Valley AVA. See, I'm not in search of America's Finest Wines (brought to you by Enologix, music by Vivaldi), I'm in search of America's finest Wine People. People at all levels of winemaking, selling and growing, who love what they do for more than just the money it brings.

I'll be posting as I go. It will be a little sporadic, so if you're interested in checking in with the trip, may I suggest subscribing to my rss feed? I've got a little feedburner badge up there where you can join in the fun. I'll post a lot, though, as often as I can find wireless satisfaction. Did you know, by the way, that KOA's have wireless internet coverage? Wow, now that's Kamping.

I conceived of this little stunt a few months ago, when I decided that the retail job I held wasn't going to take me where I wanted to go. I love wine, and I love sharing my knowledge, but enthusiasm don't pay no bills. The next step in this town, short of studying for the MS (Master Sommelier, and there's a real big demand for those in Texas) was to go into wholesale, which pays better, but with all due respect to my wholesale bretheren, I've heard little satisfaction from you guys about your career.

So I decided the time was right to take that Lifetime 'Fuck It' Road Trip. You know, the one where you follow your bliss and see where it leads? And in the interest of not ending up in a coffee house somewhere in Bend, Oregon, scribbling in a tattered journal about how life isn't fair, I figured I ought to do something constructive. Thus, the Western Wine Tour was born.

Please join me. After all, this trip's costing me a fortune. I promise interviews, wine tasting notes (fair ones) and lots of pictures. And please email me with any comments or suggestions. I can't wait to hear from you.

Okay then. First stop: Val Verde vineyards in Del Rio, Texas, the oldest bonded winery in the state with continuous production for 123 years. I'll probably be able to post this by March 2nd, but be gentle, I've gotta lotta driving to do.

Thanks, and may you never drink so much wine that you snap the stem off your Riedel glass,

Taj

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I envy you. Oh, to be on the road searching for wine. I look forward to following your travels. Stay Safe, Good Luck and Good Tasting!!!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just use the stemless ones and you'll be fine...

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun! Will you be hitting the new Texoma AVA? It's so big it will probably take a few days to traverse.

Maybe you could do a googlemap of your trip?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Japan-O-Matic! said...

YAY! The Western Wine Tour has begun! I'm sure it'll be Cork-tacular!

Luv-

Cee.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taj...enjoy the trip! Wish you could make it cross-country to visit my little corner of the wine world and then hit Finger Lakes Weekend Wino as well!

Can't wait to read all about it

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you get to Western Montana we would enjoy meeting you and sharing our wines....Happy tasting

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go, sweets, go! your adventure is vin santo for us who remain here on the ground.
jer

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taj, you must visit Tularosa Vineyards in southern New Mexico. Tell them Lee sent ya. I used to, well I put many years of heart and soul into the grapes and winery. Chris and Dave Wickham, owner and son will always be family to me. I wish I could travel with you. There are many good wines in NM, be happy to add some wineries to your list if interested.

a.k.a. Big Time
Tiempo Grande

Annapolis, MD

Salud

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking to buy wow GoLd, or sell WOw GOld to reliable customers. welcome to WOw golD,buy woW goLD,sell WoW gold .For more information of wOw Gold, please visit a the super wow gold website specialized in selling WOw gold. We will serve you with cheap woW gOld, cheap WOw gold. Welcome to WOw gold,
you can get cheapest WOw gold frome here.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home